Amidst reports of widespread Criminality and Corruption in Malta, the Maltese Association of Psychiatry (MAP) urges giving priority to the safeguarding of the health of the nation by putting a stop to moral injury. To this end, the MAP:
- Endorses the media statement issued by the Richmond Foundation on the 1st December 2019 and is concerned with the level of instability that resulted from the recent news-worthy reports of criminality, corruption and deceit in our island over the past two weeks.
- Urges politicians to put an end to the current state of affairs that can lead to moral injury.
- Remains concerned that, without an imminent state of stability, fragility of the self will ensue with damaged attachment (relationship) patterns, anxiety and anger. This is what occurs when one loses the stability felt through having a solid base, thus losing one’s own personal peace of mind. We are concerned that long-term effects of this state, with the feeling of disillusionment and hopelessness, lead to depression and, in rarer cases, post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Is concerned for the overall mental and emotional well-being of our nation and appeal to the persons in power to re-establish normality and stability without further delay. Do it for the health of the nation.
- Re-Establish Normality, Now; Dr. Nigel Camilleri Times of Malta